Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dover and Belle Isle Weekend Wrap Up

Well, Belle Isle just concluded. What a show. What a show. I understand ESPN has to oblige to other networks, but for people who don't have ESPN News, that was probably incredibly disappointing to them. But, besides that, ESPN actually did a pretty decent job on this broadcast. I honestly think that ESPN might be on a turn around. Which is really good because this was a fantastic race. Watching every minute of it was like watching an old CART race. I could not believe how crazy this was. I honestly did not believe that the track would just come apart like that. I honestly expected them to pull the plug on the race. Good thing they didn't because those final 15 laps were every bit exciting. Belle Isle as a whole, is challenging to say the least. The surface changes from asphalt to concrete, you drive on a bridge, and of course, it's a street course. So for Scott Dixon to lead wire to wire in this thing, shows just how much talent he has. However, I want to say that I am greatly saddened with Sebastien Bourdais and Rubens Barichello's luck today. Both finish 24th and 25th respectively. Had Barichello not had his engine problem, and Bourdais not had contact with Franchitti, I honestly believe that the two of them could have contended for the win. But, that wasn't the case, and we're gonna have to live with that.

Now then, as for Dover, I can't say I watched much of it. However, what I did watch of it, I was engaged. Greg Biffle was having a great great showing. A lot of people however, want to talk about the debris caution that may have cost him a win. I can't believe that people still think that NASCAR is throwing these just to 'spice' up the race. All racing series air on the side of caution. If there is something on the track that could cut a tire, cover up the grill, get inside the motor and cause a failure, it's best to throw the caution now, instead of having something like that cause a caution later on, and then cause cars to spend thousands of dollars on repairing the cars. And in an economy like this, it's the right thing to do. That's just my take on this. Johnson drove a great race as he always does. And now Rick Hendrick has 202 wins as a car owner. That is a pretty impressive feat we may only see once in our lifetimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment