Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pocono, Texas, Montreal, and Mid-Ohio Weekend Wrap Up

Another great weekend of racing is now in the books. Let's start the wrap up with Grand-Am at Mid-Ohio

Fantastic racing once again in the Rolex Sports Car Series. I kept my eyes glued to the TV from start to finish. And speaking of the finish, that late race caution sure did stir it up! In the end, the Spirit of Daytona Corvette beats the Ganassi crew to win at Mid-Ohio.

Now, moving on to that great race that was Texas. I'm sure all of us were a little uneasy going into the IZOD IndyCar Series Firestone 550. The questions surrounding the safety of big oval racing was a pretty big topic in the paddock. But, after the race that we witnessed, we might now have a chance to bring back the excitement of oval racing. The crowd at Texas however was pitiful. Only the frontstrech had a decent amount of fans, but turn 1 and 4 were basically empty. Something I hope changes before the end of the season. Besides all that, the racing was fantastic! After the bizarre race at Belle Isle one week ago, I think Texas was a little less odd. However, the last 5 laps were ones that will go down in history as another fantastic open wheel race at Texas. I could not believe my eyes when Graham Rahal hit the wall - and held the lead for a good several hundred yards - and kept going. Justin Wilson got one heck of a win for Dale Coyne. If Wilson can win in a Dale Coyne car, I truly believe that he has an incredible amount of talent and could possibly whip the field of someone like Michael Andretti gave him a ride.

Now on to Pocono. I was flipping back and forth between this and Montreal, but man, this was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen at Pocono. The new pavement really did wonders for the track. Not only that, but TNT did another great job of covering this race and keeping their fantastic graphics intact for another year. I think that when it comes down to the end of the race, you gotta do what you gotta do. And that's what Joey Logano did. He did what 42 other drivers out there would have done. A nice tap and rub to get the position. All the people who believe that Joey should be fired from Gibbs and put back in the Nationwide Series are hopefully proven wrong. Joey earned that win and he did it without rain or fuel mileage.

Now on to Montreal. I was really excited for this race as Montreal is one of my favorite tracks of all time. At first, it appeared to be another Vettel run away until Lewis Hamilton proved me wrong. I'll be honest, I missed a chunk of it to watch the NASCAR race, but I did see the finish. Man, who would have thought that Lotus of Romain Grosjean would have finished 2nd and Sergio Perez 3rd! Wow! I think Romain has a lot of speed that he's gonna let show pretty soon.


Well with that, I conclude this weekend wrap up.

No comments:

Post a Comment