Friday, June 15, 2012

What should replace Xingdao?

So finally IndyCar and the promoters of the Xingdao (also spelled Chingdao) finally pulled the plug on the race. I have to be honest, I was skeptical from the moment I heard it. I highly doubt that a street race in China could take place. And I was right.

Beside that, the big question now is, what race should replace it? There were early talks that Pocono would be the first choice. But now that has been stomped out leaving many fans who believe that Pocono is perfect for IndyCars and always has been quite upset. Now talks are coming in that there could possibly be a second race at Texas, something IndyCar hasn't seen in quite some time, or maybe a race at Laguna Seca or Road America.

Now, as much as I don't want to see another road course added to the schedule, who doesn't love Laguna Seca or Road America? Hands down they've produced some of the best races CART ever saw. Zanardi made Laguna Seca the track to watch with "The Pass" in the corkscrew on Bryan Herta. And Road America has always had fantastic races. Why not give them a try? It seems like the drivers are all for a return to Elkhart Lake. Of all the tracks you could chose, as long as it's not a high banked 1.5 mile oval that doesn't reside in Denton County, Texas, I think all the fans will be pretty happy with whatever IndyCar choses. Personally, I would like to see them give Loudon another try, or at least do something to get back to Michigan and have a go at another 500 miles. And of course, in a perfect world, IndyCar would have a 500 mile triple crown at Indianapolis, Pocono, and Michigan. But nonetheless, it looks like whatever track replaces Xingdao, I think it will spark quite a debate topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment